What Do You Wear to A Rave?
Are you looking for the perfect outfit to wear to a rave? Whether it’s your first time going, or you need something new to wear, finding the ideal rave outfit can seem like a daunting task. This guide is designed to give you some tips for finding the perfect thing to wear to your next rave.
Rave clothing is all about feeling free to express yourself. Whether you want to simply be comfortable or to look provocative, there are outfits available to fit your personality. Vibrant colors, unique designs, and trendy styles unite to create looks that allow you to be unapologetically yourself.
What Is a Rave?
If you’re new to the rave scene, while you are likely excited, you may be a little apprehensive, wondering what to expect. Raves have evolved from underground parties to a global EDM (electronic dance music) phenomenon. The all-night dance parties started in the UK and have spread across Europe and North America.
The standout feature of raves is the loud, EDM, or techno music combined with laser light displays. Rave culture is wild, vibrant, and expressive. Participants are looking for the freedom to express themselves while having fun within the crowd. People come together in a loud, dark environment and let loose to dance the night away.
The Evolution of Rave Clothing
Rave outfits have evolved just as the music has over the years. When raves began to be a popular activity, participants wore oversized, baggy clothing and outfits that featured cartoon characters. Accessories were childlike, including toy chains and lollipops.
Now, rave clothing is drastically different from those early days. Today, you’re likely to see fishnets, booty shorts, bikini tops, or other sexy, provocative attire. Colorful, holographic, neon colors, or sequin materials that stand out beneath the lighting are also encouraged.
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to dressing for a rave. The important thing is to be comfortable both with the way you look and with your ability to move in your outfit. After all, the point is to party, dance, and have a good time.
Tips for Choosing Your Rave Outfit
Now that you have an idea of what to expect, let’s look at suggestions for how to choose your outfit. Remember, there are no hard and fast rules; the key is to feel comfortable and be yourself. How to dress for a rave:
- Less is more. These days, ravers choose to wear revealing clothing. Part of the reasoning for this choice is that being less covered helps you move easier and be cooler.
- Holographic, sequined, or otherwise shimmery rave attire fabrics are a good choice. Think about the lights. Your clothing will reflect the light and make the dance floor fun.
- What about a rave bra? Rave bras are like a bikini top designed specifically for wearing to raves. Choose something with good support as you will be jumping and dancing at the party. Don’t forget to tape!
- Try a rave bodysuit. If a bikini or bra top feels unlike you, would you prefer a bodysuit? Typically, rave bodysuits are made from breathable fabrics and have sequins or wild print designs.
- Choose a colorful, sequined skirt. Sequins catch the light, and skirts have movement without hindering yours. Bright, bold colors help you express your personality and stand out in the crowd.
- Have you considered a harness? A rave harness is popular for ravers to wear even to a festival. Typically, harnesses are paired with bikini tops or crop tops. However, you can choose to wear them with less revealing items.
- Do you want to be sexy and provocative? Think about wearing lingerie. That’s right—lingerie. This choice will certainly get you noticed, so keep that in mind when choosing your outfit.
- Have you seen glow-in-the-dark designs? These designs tend to feature glow-in-the-dark fabrics that help you stand out from the crowd. Typically, the glow-in-the-dark pieces are seen on arms, torsos, and maybe the face.
- What about fishnet? Fishnet is stretchy and seductive, and it looks like delicate wings under the lights of the rave. Fishnet is available in almost any style—stockings, shirts, gloves, shorts. Layer it with other items to create a unique outfit.
- Create a character with a masquerade costume. It can be fun to go to an event incognito and be someone (or something) else for a night. Use your imagination and think out of the box for costume choices.
- Don’t forget the Kandi beads! Kandi beads are bracelets made from seed beads that you use as an outfit accessory. The beads are available in various shapes, sizes, and colors. They are used to accessorize, create personal expression, and promote the four tenets of rave culture, PLUR (Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect). Plus, trading Kandi beads is fun!
- Let’s talk about the shoes. Raves aren’t the place for your favorite heels. Many of the venues are surrounded by dirt or mud, so you want something durable as well as comfortable shoes. Think sneakers or boots. Platform boots add height like heels while still being durable and comfortable.
You don’t have to use any of these suggestions for your rave wear attire when it comes down to it. The point is to be yourself. Find your unique way to express who you are while comfortably dancing and partying the night away with these rave outfit ideas.
Men: Clothes to wear to a rave?
Typically men wear fishnet pants, shorts, joggers, harnesses, harem pants, and wear sneakers. We carry a variety of items in our Rave Wear Pride collection.
Wrapping It Up
Music festivals, rave parties or rave is more than just a party. It’s central to an entire culture. People go to raves to feel free to be themselves and express who they are. Outfits for raves vary, and basically, anything goes.
The key to dressing for a rave is to choose something that makes you feel comfortable and lets you move. You’ll be dancing, and enjoying your time with friends, so you should look and feel your best when you’re there. For more ideas for rave outfits, check out the selection of Rave Wear at Nudetique.